Happy Friday, Friends!
I hope and trust this post finds you all having a great day as a glorious new day begins to dawn in my Sweet Home Alabama!
I would be remiss if I did not start by acknowledging that today is the 25th anniversary of 9/11. It is a day we will never forget. May we honor those we lost and continue to pray for and help those affected.
This is the 751st Happy Friday I have written as a blog. I started about 6 months before with a weekly email. I thought this would be a good time to go back to the root of it all: What Will Your Influence Be…?
The “idea” was born one morning as I was driving down I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson. I was going down to meet with the University of Arizona baseball staff and team. As I drove, pouring out my heart to God, I thought about all the challenges they face. This was about 15 years ago; the challenges are much greater now. What I was pouring out my heart about that morning was that you didn’t have to go looking for trouble online; it would come looking for you. I was basically saying, “What are you going to do about this, God?” And God convicted my Spirit with, “What Will Your Influence Be…?” I felt the weight of that question and did everything I could to learn as much as I could about influence.
In one of his books, John C. Maxwell cited research showing that the most introverted person would influence more than 10,000 in their lifetime. Years later, I came across research showing that the average person influences more than 80,000 people during their lifetime. It was clear that it is not a matter of whether we will influence others; even the most introverted will influence 10,000! So, if it is not a matter of “if we will,” then it becomes a matter of “what will it be?”
I also feel compelled to share with you that my life purpose is to encourage, empower, and equip others to fulfill their potential. That’s it, the reason I exist.
So, I put the two together: I post quotes, write Happy Fridays, lead Bible Study, speak publicly, and carve wood to encourage, empower, and/or equip others to be an intentional, positive influence. A few notes:
1. None of us can give what we do not have. I have shared this quote from Ken Whitten several times: What’s in the well always comes up in the bucket. What you and I allow to be poured into our hearts, minds, and spirits matters – greatly! The first ones we must intentionally influence positively are ourselves! If we don’t like the fruit, the greatest wisdom is to look at the root.
2. Intentional is a great word that gives great power! Intentions, hopes, goals, and dreams don’t do a darn thing if we are not acting in an intentional manner. There is no "try," only "do"! Let’s quit talking about it and actually be about it!
3. Again, it is not a question of whether or not we will influence others; it is simply a matter of whether we will be a positive or negative influence. Let me ask it this way: are your family and friends better because of your influence in their lives, or worse? Yeah, that one might sting a little bit! And if it stings, I want to encourage you to lean into the sting, not run from it. Own it! If we don’t own it, we forfeit the great power we have: the power to change it.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if there is ever anything I can do for you or your family. I will always help you any way I can. You can reach me at kevin@whatwillyourinfluencebe.com.
Have a great day, and a wonderful weekend. Please cherish your precious family, be kind, and stay well!
Kev
No comments:
Post a Comment